Friday, July 17, 2009

Social Midwifery

My teacher, brother, and friend, Dr. Vincent Harding, introduced me to the idea of Social Midwives. In a class at Iliff School of Theology, Dr. Harding described his feeling that something new and exciting was about to be born in America and needs people to assist in the birthing process. This metaphor of birth gives me great hope and strikes me as true; it articulates the way I feel God is calling me to peace and justice work in the world. I will say much more about this Social Midwifery but for now, please read Dr. Harding’s inspiring essay.

I add to Dr. Harding’s thoughts another layer of Social Midwifery inspired by the Biblical story of the Hebrew midwives, Shiphrah and Puah. From Exodus 1, these women are a team of midwives who Pharaoh tells to kill the Israelite baby boys while assisting in their births. The subversive women defy Pharoah’s order, risk their lives and safety, and bring the babies into the world safely because they choose to serve God and not Pharoah. They use Pharoah’s own racism to deceive him. It is significant that the women worked as a team and not as individuals. By their courage, wit, and loyalty to God, they model how one might be a Social Midwife in the world. I would like to join this team of Midwives, birthing peace, justice, and beauty in the world and I invite you to join me.

1 comment: